"Where the Victorian World Comes to Life!"
Victorian Life |
Etiquette, Manners & Morals |
Working Life |
Victorian London |
Arts, Crafts & Needlework |
The Victorian Home |
Cooking & Dining |
Birds, Beasts, Flowers & Countryside |
History & Archaeology |
Objects & Antiquities |
World Travel & Culture |
Fiction & Poetry |
Just for Kids!
About Us |
Advertise in the Victorian Marketplace! |
Magazine Index |
SEE WHAT'S NEW!
THE VICTORIAN MARKETPLACE |
GRANDMA'S ATTIC BOOKSHOP
PDF files on this site are best viewed with Adobe Reader 9.0 or later. Earlier readers may give an error message but files may still load. Download the free Acrobat Reader HERE.
Fashion & Costume
Needlework & Crafts
Victorians adored folklore (in fact, some of the best and most thorough collections of contemporary lore and traditions were gathered during this period).|
- Girl's Own Paper - 1880 (Vol. 1)
- St. Valentine's Day, by Dora de Blaquiere
- Girl's Own Paper - 1880-1881 (Vol. 2)
- Easter Eggs, and How the Girls Made Them
- Besides covering some of the folklore of Easter, this article gives an interesting look at how eggs were dyed in Victorian times.
- Mr. Ruskin's May Day Festival at Whitelands College, by J.A. Owen
- Rainbows: An Indian Legend
- What the Flowers Say, by James Mason
- Girl's Own Paper - 1881-1882
- The Forget-Me-Not, by Rev. T.F. Thiselton Dyer
- A look at the flower's folklore and history.
- Girl's Own Paper - 1882-1883
- Girls' Christian Names
- A five-part series on the lore and history behind girls' names.
- May-Day in France, by Annie Kemm, F.R.H.S.
- Girls' Own Paper - 1888-1889
- Cinderella's Ancestor, by Emma Brewer
- A look at an Egyptian folktale.
- Flowers in History, by Sophia Caulfield
- A well illustrated series on the history and folklore of flowers.
- The Romance of Nature, by James Mason
- Subtitled "The Folklore of Animals, Plants, Earth, Air, Sea and Sky," which pretty much says it all.
- Violins and Mittenwald, by Emma Brewer
- Loads of local color and folklore concerning the German town of Mittenwald.
- The Strand - 1891
- Ghosts, by Irving Montagu
- Some spooks, spectres and haunts from around the world.
Visit Grandma's Attic Bookshop!
Copyright © 2013 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.