"Where the Victorian World Comes to Life!"
Victorian Life |
Etiquette, Manners & Morals |
Working Life |
Victorian London |
Arts, Crafts & Needlework |
The Victorian Home |
Cooking & Dining |
Birds, Beasts, Flowers & Countryside |
History & Archaeology |
Objects & Antiquities |
World Travel & Culture |
Fiction & Poetry |
Just for Kids!
About Us |
Advertise in the Victorian Marketplace! |
Magazine Index |
SEE WHAT'S NEW!
THE VICTORIAN MARKETPLACE |
GRANDMA'S ATTIC BOOKSHOP
PDF files on this site are best viewed with Adobe Reader 9.0 or later. Earlier readers may give an error message but files may still load. Download the free Acrobat Reader HERE.
Fashion & Costume
Needlework & Crafts
Death, Mourning and Funeral Customs
NOTE: Some of these articles contain images that may be disturbing (given that one of the customs of the Victorian day was to take photographs of the dead!)
- Death: Victorian Era
- Funerary Practices in the Victorian Period
- Memento Mori: Death and Photography in Nineteenth Century America
- Mourning and Funeral Usages
- An article on funeral etiquette from Harper's Bazaar, 1886.
- Victorian Death Rituals
- Victorian Garden Cemeteries
- Four of London's best-known Victorian cemeteries.
- Victorian London Cemeteries
- Includes a list of all London's Victorian cemeteries.
- Victorian Mourning Garb
- Victorian Post-Mortem Photography
- Interesting article on the topic, with a few sample photos.
- Victorian Mourning and Sentimental Jewelry
- Victorian Mourning Customs
- From Collier's Cyclopedia, published in 1901; wonderful details on what to wear, the types of fabrics that are appropriate, etc.
- Victoria's Past
- Visit "The Parlour" for an interesting article on mourning attire and practices.
Visit Grandma's Attic Bookshop!
Copyright © 2014 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.